The School of Engineering hosts students from around the world, who bring distinctive skills to a job or internship.
Consider these key qualities which international students may bring to your organization:
- Cultural awareness & understanding of cultural differences
- Global insight and perspective
Student Job Search using Relationships & Networking
Since many positions are found through networking and referrals, it is important to start now and create connections with both Americans and other international students.
- Be authentic and genuine,
- Go beyond your comfort zone - consider joining student groups that interest you to meet others
- Ask for help, seek advice, and say thank you
- Passion matters,
- Networking Tips for International Students
- Access to Steve Dalton networking method - The Two Hour Job Search - through Engineering Career Center. Contact email@example.com
Tips & Articles for International Students
- 9 Job Search Tips for International Students in the Age of Coronavirus,
- 10 Job Search Tips for International Students this summer,
- How Will a Biden Presidency Affect International Students' Job Search
- Visa & Job Prospects for International Students in 2020
- 4 Job Search Strategies that get International Grad Students Hired
- How the Trump Administration's New H1-B Wage Increase Rule Affects International Students (Oct. 2020)
International Support Services
Provides a wide range of support services and resources aimed at KU International Students.
- On-Campus Employment definition
- On-Campus Student Job postings
- Optional Practical Training (OPT)
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
- Economic Hardship
First Destinations after Graduation
Examples of organizations where international students have accepted positions in recent years:
- Aramco Services Co.
- Black & Veatch
- Clinical Reference Laboratory
My World Abroad
Includes a go abroad essentials whether you want to work, study, travel abroad and more; as well as a comprehensive guide to international success.
Information on navigating the world of work by country; including career guides, resume help, visa information, and job/internship searches.
Includes a special database (H1B Plus) under the H1B Visas tab listings American employers who have historically hired international professionals.
Sign in through HireJayhawks.com for free and complete access. (Available for students & alumni)
Books available through Engineering Career Center for check-out
- "The International Advantage: Get Noticed. Get Hired!." by Marcelo Barros, MBA
- "Power Ties: The International Student's Guide to Finding a Job in the United States" by Dan Beaudry
- "3 Steps to your Job in the USA: go from F-1 to H`1B" by Steven Steinfeld with Yinping Huang