Expand your understanding of occupations and career possibilities:
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations.
- O*Net Skills Search - An interactive application for exploring and searching occupations.
- engineering Go For It (eGFI) - Information for K-12 students from the American Society of Engineering Education.
For increased career satisfaction, take time to reflect on who you are. Schedule a meeting with an Engineering Career Center Advisor at 785-864-3891 or email@example.com
- Interests - The Strong Interest Inventory is available free to School of Engineering students (requires a brief preliminary meeting as well as a post assessment interpretation).
- Work Values - Choose work that reflects your values to increase career satisfaction.
- Strengths - utilize your StrengthsFinder results from freshmen orientation to explore how your talents can align with various career options.
Investigate Potential Career Paths
Check out what a "day in the life" is like for engineers, computer scientists, and others in areas of interest.
- Informational Interviews - A conversation where you ask the questions and get advice / information about a field, industry or company that interests you.
- Career Road Trips - Join a group of School of Engineering students on a tour of companies related to a specific interest area.
- Jayhawks on the Job - Spend an afternoon shadowing an engineering or computing professional to find out what a job is really like.
Test and confirm potential positions of interest while gaining meaningful career related experience.
- Internships: A structured work experience where students connect and apply academic knowledge under supervision. Typically, it is a full-time paid position during the summer, lasting approximately three months.
- Co-ops: A structured work experience where undergraduate students connect and apply academic knowledge under supervision on the job, as well as complete the ENGR 300 course. Typically a full-time paid position which includes a school semester, and lasts six months to one year.
- Research Experience: May be formal experience (such as an NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates) or more informal position. There is quite a bit of variation in the format: full-time or part-time | paid or volunteer | academic credit or not.
Professional Associations & Info Sources
Discover professional associations by major or interest areas.
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
- Architectural Engineering Institute (ASCE)
- Associated General Contractors (AGC)
- Illuminating Engineering Society (IES)
- American Institute for Medical & Biological Engineering (AIMBE)
- American Society of Biomechanics (ASB)
- Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES)
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES)
- International Society of Biomechanics (ISB)
- Rehabilitation Engineering (RESNA)
Chemical & Petroleum Engineering
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE)
- Association of Consulting Chemists and Chemical Engineers (ACC&CE)
- Chemical Engineering Magazine
- American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical, and Petroleum Engineers (AIME)
- Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Associated General Contractors (AGC)
- Engineering News-Record (ENR)
- Environmental Science and Engineering Magazine (ESE)
Computer & Electrical Engineering
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- ACM Sigcomm - SIGCOMM is ACM's professional forum for discussing communications and computer networks.
- Computing Research Association (CRA) - Uniting industry, academia and government to advance computing research and change the world.
- EDN Network - an electronics community for engineers, by engineers.
- Game Developers Conference
- Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineers (IEEE) - The world's largest technical professional organization for the advancement of technology.
- International Game Developers Association (IGDA)
- Society for Technical Communication
- Telecom Industry Association (TIA) - trade association representing the global information and communications technology (ICT) industry.
- Total Telecom - meeting the information and research needs of the Global Communications industry, from breaking news to expert analysis.
- Urgent Communications - technology source for the communications technology industry delivering real-world, practical information.
Environmental Engineering / Science
Science and Technology Policy
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Engaging Scientists and Engineers in Policy (ESEP)
- Internships, Fellowships, and Graduate Programs
Job Market Information
Review employment trends in Kansas and the Kansas City region.
- State Labor Market Information - from Kansas Department of Labor
- Regional Economic Indicators - from Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City
- Regional Economic Databooks - from Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City